I’m writing this blog post in bed on my phone on a Sunday evening just after putting Heidi to bed. In truth, I should be going to sleep because I’m tired. However, after attending a Q&A held by Honest Mum (who can be found here) and The Rainbow Factory (who can be found here), I felt inspired to write…
I am physically and mentally tired… it is very difficult to be a single parent.
- It is very difficult to have a high pressured job.
- and very difficult to keep up communications with your ex for the sake of your child.
- and very difficult to start a new relationship.
I am trying to do all of these!!
And this isn’t a “Look how bad my life is” post (I have money, I am healthy and have a roof over my head – life could be worse). This is a self reflection on how I can make things better for myself and Heidi and hopefully give some ideas how you can do the same.
Being an accountant and previously the main bread winner in a nuclear family, I’ve felt the responsibility to make sure money comes in. Sadly, money is important and I have made sacrifices to get better jobs. Should I keep on doing this? I don’t feel as though I have any option, so I might be spending more time in the car travelling to/from work than at home in the near future.
Four years ago, my life fell apart after separation and my life was work and Heidi. That was it. This blog was the first step of me becoming me again. The next step was dating. However, it is so difficult. It is so tiring.
At times I want to curl into a ball and rest. However, I want to be my own person. I need to be my own person. It is a slow process and I sometimes feel guilty for going out without Heidi. However, a happy daddy will be a better parent for Heidi.
So how am I going to make things better? Here are a few things I’ve come up with…
– Be Organised. I’m pretty organised as it is, but there are still times when I don’t know where I’m meant to be in the morning or what time I’m finishing work. That’s not good!
– Say no! This might mean saying no to date night, no to people at work, no to blogging opportunities. I need to learn to say no and be confident to say no.
– Look after myself. Doing my first ever boot camp session this weekend has hopefully given me inspiration to better look after my body a bit better! I could do to lose a couple of pounds!
I’d love to hear your comments on how you manage all the pressures of real life and hopefully other readers will be able to use some of them in the future!!
To read more of my blog, please feel free to:
“Like” me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/leedsdad (it will make me happy!!)
“Follow” me on Twitter @leedsdad
Email me at: [email protected]
Go onto my website: http://www.leedsdad.com